Title: Library Assistant. Collection, Acquisitions and Management Dept. Part-time; 36 hours biweekly.
Reports To: Managing Librarian – Collection, Acquisitions and Management
General Statement of Duties: Assists in the processing and cataloging of Library materials. Assists customers at the Circulation and Computer Help Desks as needed. May serve as the back-up driver for vehicle-based outreach services.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Opens and sorts arriving mail and materials.
- Checks in, sorts, prepares and shelves periodical publications.
- Processes new materials and repairs damaged materials for use by the public.
- May shelve library materials and keep shelves in order.
- Handles routine acquisition problems.
- Works with other staff members to assist with collection development tasks.
- Provides prompt, courteous tactful, friendly and satisfactory assistance to the public via one-on-one interaction, telephone and/or electronically.
- May drive Library vehicle to provide outreach services when the designated driver is unavailable.
- Checks in, checks out and renews Library materials for customers in person and via telephone as needed.
- Provides customer assistance with public computers and copiers; handles study room reservations at the Computer Help Desk as needed.
- Assists customers with locating materials as necessary.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Ability and willingness to learn the use of new or unfamiliar equipment and software.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, work accurately and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent problem-solving, interpersonal and communication skills.
- English language fluency in written and spoken form.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work harmoniously with customers and co-workers.
- Good judgment and initiative.
- Some knowledge of office procedures, computers and MS Office.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and weekend hours.
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record with ability to move between libraries, community locations, meetings and workshops.
- Performs work requiring the lifting of up to 50 pounds and movement of objects. The work requires kneeling, crouching, bending, and standing. Vocal communication is required for expressing and exchanging ideas and information by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for color perception, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities.
- Employment is contingent on passing a criminal background check and Library Board approval. Salary is $16.30 per hour. Library employees are members of AFSCME and belong to the pension system.
Application Deadline: September 22, 2017
Apply to Cynthia Robbins, Managing Librarian. Old Bridge Public Library. 1 Old Bridge Plaza, Municipal Center. Old Bridge, NJ 08857 firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who have applied for this position within the last three months will be considered.