The Old Bridge Public Library Board of Trustees encourages participation in Library activities. In accordance with its role as a community center, the Library maintains art display units, hanging wires with hooks and glass display cases that are used to display artistic creations and personal collections. All art and exhibits are displayed in the Main Branch.
Exhibitors wishing to use display space are required to submit a completed Request for Exhibit Space Form. Materials to be considered for exhibition are subject to the following guidelines:
- Exhibit space is available to organizations and individuals engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities.
- All exhibits must be approved by the Library Director and/or the Director’s designee. It is at the sole discretion of the Director to approve or disapprove the Request for Exhibit Space. The Director Library may request to view samples of the exhibit prior to approving or disapproving the request.
- The Director reserves the right to deny an organization’s or an individual’s request if it is deemed inappropriate for general audiences. The Library’s facilities are public spaces which are used and viewed by community members of all ages. This factor will be a prime consideration in the approval or rejection of a display request.
- The Director reserves the right to make a final decision on the content and arrangement of all exhibits. The Director reserves the right to reject any part of any exhibit or to change the manner of the display if deemed necessary. The following types of exhibits are not permitted:
- Commercial exhibits (e.g. for sale product displays);
- Partisan political exhibits or exhibits that promote or detract from the support of an election or defeat of a political candidate or party;
- Exhibits which feature a specific religion in a promotional or exclusionary manner;
- Exhibits which are in violation of any laws, or are deemed to be derogatory or offensive to civil standards, including but not limited to those of a sexual nature or depicting inappropriate nudity.
- Applications for the use of exhibit space will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis and are limited to one month per calendar year for each organization or individual depending on demand.
- The Library cannot assume responsibility for loss or damage if any items exhibited.
- Exhibits are booked for a one-month period. Exhibitors will be informed of setup and removal dates. If the exhibitor does not bring the display to the Library within three days following the agreed upon setup date, the exhibit may be canceled.
- The setup and removal of exhibits is the responsibility of the exhibitor.
- The Library will not provide storage space and reserves the right to dispose of exhibits left after the conclusion of the exhibit period, upon the provision of 48 hours’ prior notice to the exhibitor via the contact information the exhibitor has provided.
- No sales of exhibit work may be made on the Library premises.
- In the event that a prospective exhibit is denied, or that a member of the public objects to the content of an exhibit, such individuals or groups must complete and sign a Request for Reconsideration of Library Exhibit form. The form will be reviewed by the Director, and judged according to the policies established by the Library. The Director has the discretion to remove an item(s) at issue pending review of a reconsideration request.
Revised by the Board on May 10, 2017.